Make UK are working very closely with Government, at a senior level, on the response to Covid-19. Our asks for Government are measures that build on the budget provisions to protect industry. Specifically focusing on cash flow challenges, helping businesses meet financial obligations and avoid lay-offs as far as possible, for example delaying the VAT payments due on 1st April, extending SSP and extending business rate relief.
Make UK has issued a raft of employment FAQs which will be regularly updated.
Also of interest, Make UK has called for a tax and NI deferment:
Please do continue to contact Make UK with any questions you would like us to put to Government. They will endeavour to do this and to feedback. Here’s a summary of the key issues and requests raised on the recent affiliate members call. Specific requests in bold:
- Partners are hearing two different sides: members with more work than they can handle with concerns about how to keep people at work, and those with orders drying up
- Requests for tax and NI payment holidays
- Help with insurance rules
- Help with salaries where sales have dried up and deliveries blocked
- Practical guidance – how to access the support available
- Across various sub sectors partners are seeing members implement WFH where possible, but manufacturing cannot generally be carried out from home. They are implementing working practice changes and some have adopted sophisticated shift patterns, but are concerned that sweeping government policies telling people not to go to work could undermine them. Testing kits for businesses so healthy people can continue to work would be a sensible solution
- Members don’t want this to have a long lasting impact as far as it can be avoided. Also there are so many areas that are largely overlooked for example packaging for food. The message for Government is please tell people to keep supply chains going
Call Make UK’s friendly team of advisors for help and advice on any of our services, to find out more about joining, and learn how to get the best from your membership.
Lines are open 8.30am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday, and calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.
0808 168 5874
We are experiencing an unusually high number of calls to the National Adviceline
We are dealing with all queries as responsively as possible
If you have a query regarding Coronavirus you can refer to the latest guidance on the Make UK Website here: https://www.makeuk.org/coronavirus